Saturday, October 2, 2010

The Plot is Thickening

Strokkur on Iceland

I have a tendency to get in the middle of the most dramatic intrigues, more similar to a soap opera than real life. It would be foolish of me to think that my life would remain calm for a more than a week or two. The illusionary peace I from time to time experience makes me equally surprised and cautious. Surprised because it happens rarely and cautious because the calm usually is a sign of an approaching storm. Things that don't happen to normal people surely happens to me. Why that is, I have no idea. I definitely don't seek out drama, although I have to admit that in some cases my choices have lead me to it. Like going to Sudan of all places. Maybe you should expect that making such a choice will lead to kidnappings, a bugged phone and persecutions from the security police. I should have expected that my passport would get stolen by a police man, that I would have to bribe the right people just to get out of the country. I should have known.

I should have expected to get mysteriously ill from something that the doctors are clueless about, that family members would try to commit suicide a number of times, that they would nearly get killed in assaults and car crashes, get cancer, be alcoholics and that I would loose my friends, fall in love. How could I not have known? Maybe I should take the "hope for the best, expect the worst" more literally from now on.

The picture of the geysir Strokkur on Iceland is borrowed from pixdaus.com.

No comments: