Friday, August 27, 2010

Following my own Advice

"The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It's never of any use to oneself."

-Oscar Wilde

Once, I gave my sister an advice, which I now realize was a pretty good one. We were talking about love, and the art of staying in a long-term relationhip, of living with someone, making him the father of your children, dying with someone. I said that, I think it's all a matter of making a decision, nothing else. Of course love comes in handy, and being friends, understanding each other, being able to communicate, are all assets that will make that decision easier to make. But the secret to make it all last, must be that decision. You decide that "this is it", and then simply stick with it, through better and through worse, until death do you part. THat decision, however, is not something that should be done easily (and rarely is for that matter). Getting to a point when you feel that it's either this or that, can take a long time, and it should too.

I haven't been good at following my own advice, at least not yet. But I think, that from now on, I see things a wee bit differently. I have lived and learned, made mistakes but don't regret them. Sooner or later it will be my turn. Sooner or later I will feel safe enough to make that decision, feel loved enough and love enough.

And now back to Wilde. I did pass my advice on, and I sincerely hope that my sister will too, if she found the advice good enough. I believe that in many situations, when an advice is given, that advice is aimed for that person in perticular, and the circumstances he or she is in at the moment. And although it took some time before I realized that I actually had said something good, something to consider, but when I did, I actually plan to follow my own advice. But hat off for you Mr. Wilde, you were part of what made me reconsider my own advice!

No comments: